Tragic death of a five year old girl A five year old girl was in the lift at her family’s home and put her head through a damaged vision panel. The lift started moving upwards, trapping her between the lift and the ground floor ceiling. This resulted in fatal neck and back injuries. The
A British retailer fined £337k after customer falls through a trapdoor A 64-year-old woman was browsing birthday cards when she fell three metres through an open trapdoor into the store’s basement. A nearby shop employee tried to grab the woman as she was falling, but did not manage to stop her. This resulted in multiple
Data breach: airport fined for lost USB memory stick An airport was fined £120,000 after an employee lost a USB memory stick containing sensitive personal information. A member of the public found the memory stick on the street and viewed the files on a library computer. The contents on the USB included the times guards
£500k fine following the death of an employee A group of employees at a hot metal forging company were working on a task hammering pieces of hard alloy. One of the workers was working on a small but hard piece of metal. Because of the size of the metal, he had to kneel close to
Supermarket legally responsible for employee data leak Morrisons was found responsible for leaking thousands of employees’ data. The data was posted online by former senior internal auditor, Andrew Skelton. He posted information such as names, addresses, bank accounts and salaries, and risked Morrisons’ current employees to identity theft and financial loss. The reason for stealing
A construction company has been fined for a working at height violation, after a worker fell through a roof window opening, suffering broken ribs and a fractured hip. The Magistrates Court in Luton heard how the employee of the firm was carrying out work on a new build extension when his foot slipped and he fell
Monday, 12 February 2018 by tim tansley
Many businesses taking chances with their Training: Health Safety Courses provision is inadequate Research conducted by 3Gem* on behalf of Health & Safety Consultants Citation revealed some worrying statistics about the state of Health & Safety Training in the workplace. Our Health Safety Courses delivered through eLearning could help… 10% of employees don’t feel
Tuesday, 14 November 2017 by Patrick
Asbestos Awareness is a phrase we have all heard, but do we really know what it is? Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral which has been used as a construction material for thousands of years. However, it was the Industrial Revolution that introduced asbestos into commercial use, specifically due to its wide range of properties.
Thursday, 08 June 2017 by tim tansley
Electrical Safety at Work Electricity can kill. According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) approximately 1000 accidents a year are caused by electric shocks. About 30 of these cases are fatal and arise from working with overhead or underground power cables. This meas electrical safety at work is a serious issue. Individuals working directly
Tagged under: electrical safety at work
Asbestos Awareness is a phrase we have all heard, but do we really know what it is? Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral which has been used as a construction material for thousands of years. However, it was the Industrial Revolution that put asbestos to commercial use, specifically due to its wide range of properties.
Tagged under: asbestos awareness