Emergency First Aid Awareness is a newly-created course to help you recognise and treat minor injuries and illnesses, as well as life-threatening conditions in adult casualties. The course covers some of the key topics in an Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW) course, such as:
- The role of an appointed person and first aider
- First aid risk assessments
- Covid-19 and infection control
- The primary survey using DR ABC
- The secondary survey using SAMPLE
- Life-saving techniques such as CPR, the recovery position, back blows and abdominal thrusts
- Different types of bandages and what they are used for
- Steps to take when dealing with minor injuries and illnesses such as cuts, grazes, splinters, nosebleeds, bruises and surface burns
- How to treat casualties suffering from severe or life-threatening illnesses or injuries, such as heavy bleeding, major burns and scalds, heart attacks, angina attacks, seizures and shock
- Record keeping and what to include in an incident record
The Emergency First Aid Awareness course can be used as a refresher for those who are EFAW or First Aid at Work (FAW) certified or as an introduction for people intending to take a practical first aid course. This course does not qualify you to be a workplace first aider. However, understanding what to do in various situations and regularly refreshing your knowledge of first aid material can help keep a casualty safe, prevent further harm, and might save lives.
The course also provides advice on first aid procedures during the Covid-19 pandemic, and what you can do to help casualties while keeping yourself and others safe.
Like all EssentialSkillz courses, this Emergency First Aid Awareness eLearning course can be customised to meet your needs, enabling your workforce to understand the specific policies and procedures developed for your organisation. A designated course administrator can edit the text and images within the course, and link to organisation-specific documentation, all at no extra cost.