Guildford Crown Court has fined a Healthcare company £100,000 and ordered to pay costs of £50,000 after an elderly patient died from scalding injuries.
An investigation held by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that a care home company based in Middlesex, had failed to effectively communicate their existing policies and procedures to the care staff.
The court was told that an 89 year old lady was being bathed by two assistants but the water temperature had not been checked. The patient suffered serious burn injuries and later died in hospital.
After the case was heard, HSE Inspector Michelle Canning said:
“All healthcare premises have a legal duty to control the risks of scalding injuries from bathing or showering and there is guidance that is well established and simple to implement.”