A company has been fined £50,000 after an employee died as a result of inhaling dichloromethane vapour. Dundee Sheriff Court sentenced the firm after pleading guilty to offences under Section 2(1) and 33(1)(a) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
The court heard that the worker had been cleaning a chemical stripping paint tank.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reported that the employee had not received any formal training regarding the chemical stripping tank or chemical stripping agent. The HSE told the court that his training was classed as “on the job” training.
The 33 year old man was overcome by the chemical fumes and later died.
For further information on working with chemicals click here.