Southwark Crown Court has fined a company £60,000 and ordered to pay £40,000 in costs after being found guilty at an earlier trial to breaching the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007.
The fine followed a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation into how a 42 year old worker was badly burned after hitting a 415v electricity cable. This happened during a refurbishment of a pharmacy in the Edgeware Road area of London. The incident occurred in July 2013.
The employee was digging a trench to lay a new sewage pipe. His injuries were significant, suffering burns to his body and neck. The worker is now registered disabled and unable to work.
Stephron Baker Holmes from the HSE after the case was heard said:
“One of the client’s key mistakes in this case was to take on practical control of the work during the project without having the necessary understanding to be able to manage construction work safely.”