Edinburgh Sheriff Court has fined a housing association £75,000 after pleading guilty to breaching Section 3(1) Health and Safety at Work Etc. Act 1974.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that a 60-year-old man died after being put in a hot bath leaving him with severe scalds. He later died of his injuries.
The incident occurred in June 2013.
The HSE told the court that the patient suffered from cerebral palsy, epilepsy and had limited movement thus, requiring help with all aspects of day to day living. The care provider was helping the gentleman into the bath when he had an epileptic fit. The carer tried to help the patient but whilst doing so left his legs in the hot water.
The court heard that the housing association was guilty of several health and safety failings. The staff involved had not been trained on safe bathing techniques and water temperature. Additionally, no water thermometers were provided and no risk assessments performed.
After the case was heard, HSE inspector Hazel Dobb said: “Failing to provide adequate training, instruction and supervision to its workers resulted in a vulnerable elderly man losing his life.”
For further information on risk assessments click here.