The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has held an investigation into how a day care patient choked to death at a Shropshire day care centre.
Shrewsbury Crown Court was told that the 53 year old man lived at a residential home but regularly attended a day care unit that specialised in care for adults with learning difficulties.
The court heard that on the day the incident occurred, the patient was provided with a packed lunch from the residential home to consume at the day centre. The HSE told the court that the patient had a history of choking incidents but despite this knowledge safeguards were not undertaken.
The patient received first aid from the day care assistants and paramedics were called. CPR and two doses of adrenaline were given at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital but the patient did not respond to treatment.
The council was fined £25,000 and ordered to pay £39,317 in costs after admitting breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.