An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has revealed that a man from County Durham, failed to carry out an asbestos survey before engaging in a garage conversion in a residential area.
The incident which occurred in March 2015, potentially exposed members of the public to dangerous asbestos fibres. Despite being warned that the ceiling he was working on may have contained asbestos, the worker pulled the partially collapsed ceiling down and disposed of it in plastic bags.
Darlington Magistrates’ Court fined the worker £267 and ordered to pay costs of £1,765 after pleading guilty to breaching Regulation 5(1) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012.
For further information on working safely with asbestos click here.