Trafford Magistrates’ Court has fined a Manchester landlord £4,000 and ordered to pay £7,000 in prosecution costs after a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation revealed that tenants, a mother and her young son, were put at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The HSE told the court that an inspection of the boiler in the premises concerned was classed as “immediately dangerous”. Furthermore, the landlord had failed to arrange any annual gas safety checks for seven years.
The court heard that the rental company had, on previous occasions, been served with two improvement notices on two separate properties.
The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 requires that annual inspections are performed on gas appliances.
For further information on gas safety click here.