A landlord from Accrington, Lancashire has been found guilty of failing to arrange essential gas safety checks on a rental property in the town.
By law, landlords are required to carry out gas safety checks on gas appliances on an annual basis. These checks have to be done by a qualified gas safety engineer approved by the Gas Safety Register.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) had ordered the landlord to arrange a gas safety check on more than one occasion and he had neglected to do so.
The case which was heard at Trafford Magistrates’ Court was told that his gas safety record had expired in 2012.
Gas appliances in other properties were classed as “immediately dangerous” by the Gas Safety Register in 2011.
The Court fined £40,000 and ordered the landlord to pay £18,054 in prosecution costs after pleading guilty to single breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 on 4 September 2014. The charges relate to failing to have the gas appliances checked annually, and failing to comply with an improvement notice.
After the case was heard, HSE Inspector Stuart Kitchingman said
“Dozens of people are killed or badly harmed every year from carbon monoxide poisoning so it is vital that landlords take the risks seriously. We will continue to prosecute landlords who think the law doesn’t apply to them.”