Sevenoaks Magistrates’ Court has fined a Surrey based building company £1,000 for breaching gas health and safety regulations.
The owner of the building company instructed her son, also working for the company to illegally move a gas flue during extension work on a residential property. Neither the company nor the employee was qualified to undertake gas work and were not approved by the Gas Safety Register.
The family living in the property later contacted a plumber to request the system was flushed through. On inspecting the system the plumber found the installation fell short of current safety standards.
Furthermore, a Gas Safety Engineer investigated the work and classed the installation of the gas flu as “at risk”.
After the hearing, Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Inspector Rob Hassell said
“Every year people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that are not properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated.”
Russell Kramer chief executive of Gas Safe Register, added: “Every Gas Safe registered engineer carries a Gas Safe ID card, which shows who they are and the type of gas appliances they are qualified to work on. We always encourage the public to ask for and check the card and if they have any concerns about the safety of work carried out in their home, to speak to us. Every year we investigate thousands of reports of illegal gas work.