Chichester Crown Court has fined a fresh food company £170,000 and told to pay costs of £35,403 after breaching sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation into how an employee died after being electrocuted by a live 240V electrical cable has highlighted safety failings and poor practice.
The live cable was part of an old system which was left behind in a loft space after old cables had been removed. The HSE told the court that the food firm were unaware that it existed in its live state.
The 21 year old sub-contractor was lagging pipes in a loft space when he was electrocuted. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The HSE told the court that the firm should have removed redundant cabling in a controlled and methodical manner and if this had been done, the fatality could have been avoided.
For further information on electrical safety, click here.