Westminster Magistrates’ Court has fined a London Housing Association £2,500 and ordered to pay £1,000 in costs for breaching its responsibilities as an employer under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told the court that a pregnant women residing at the property attempted to top up her prepayment gas meter when gas escaped into the room. The release of the gas caused a significant risk of explosion and fire.
The HSE investigation revealed that work to a gas pipe had been carried out by a handyman who was not qualified to work with gas appliances and was not registered with the Gas Safe Register.
After the case was heard Zameer Bhunnoo of the HSE said:
“It is essential that landlords have adequate procedures in place to ensure that an appropriately competent tradesperson is assigned for any repairs required. In this case, a Gas Safe registered engineer should have been used.”
For further information on gas safety visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk/