Southwark Crown Court has fined a North London landlord for breaching the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations. The court fined the individual £10,000, ordered him to carry out 150 hours of unpaid community work and sentenced to 12 months’ in prison, suspended for two years.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation revealed that a visiting registered National Grid engineer found the landlord carrying out illegal and dangerous work to a boiler in a Wembley flat, he was renting to a family with children.
The law states that only engineers appropriately trained and registered on the Gas Safe Register are authorised to work on gas appliances.
The importance of working safely with gas and gas appliances was reiterated after the case by HSE’s Inspector Lisa Chappell who said:
“The potential consequences arising from using unregistered and possibly incompetent gas fitters are significant and well-known. They include serious injury from fire, explosion and carbon monoxide poisoning.”
“The regulations relevant to who should carry out work on gas appliances are unambiguous.”
For further information see http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/