Dudley Magistrates’ Court has fined a firm specialising in electric gates £3,300 with £773 costs after pleading guilty to breaching Regulation 18 of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation into how an eight year old boy became trapped in an automated school gate revealed that the installation company had failed to fit adequate safety guards between the gate and the gate post.
The pupil’s father was onsite when the incident happened and managed to hold the gate open allowing his son to remove his head before the gate fully closed.
The boy suffered bruising to his head and ear.
Following the case, HSE Inspector Sarah Palfreyman said:
“This was an extremely traumatic event for the boy and his father. Fortunately, the youngster was back at school a couple of days later and he has not suffered any long term effects. However, it could have been a different story had he been trapped by a different part of his head, or had it happened to a younger child.”
“People getting trapped a well-known risk in the industry and HSE has produced safety notes on the subject due to a number of fatalities involving children in recent years. I would encourage all suppliers and installers of electric gates to read it.”
For further information on installing electric gates see www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/electricgates2.htm